Choosing gifts for teachers can be a bit of a minefield at the best of times. But it gets even harder if you want to choose something that’s eco friendly, fairly traded and something they will actually use. We have some lovely ideas for zero waste teacher gifts for children to hand over with pride. Reusable products for a plastic-free school day. Recycled glasses for all those bottles of wine. Delicious Fairtrade chocolate if you are looking for something small and Christmas decorations that make great gift ideas.
Ethical Teacher Gifts
Choosing gifts for teachers can be a bit of a minefield at the best of times. But it gets even harder if you want to choose something that’s ethical, fairly traded and something they will actually use.
We have some lovely ideas for zero waste teacher gifts for children to hand over with pride. Reusable products for a plastic-free school day. Recycled glasses for all those bottles of wine. Delicious Fairtrade chocolate if you are looking for something small and Christmas decorations that make great gift ideas.
Perfect presents for a Teacher
It’s quite possible that a teacher will get Christmas cards and gifts from a fairly large proportion of the class and then accept gifts again at the end of the school year. Thinking of gift ideas for teachers to show your appreciation that they aren’t going to get 20 off can be tricky. And it’s a well-known fact that you can only use so many mugs even if they do get broken from time to time.
With that in mind, we’ve put together a little collection of ethical gifts that are practical and thoughtful for both people and the planet.
Teacher Thank You Gifts
We’ve thought of lots of lovely gifts that can be used to say thank you at the end of the year. From funky items that can be used at school or nursery to yummy treats and great reusable items that can be used at work or home.
- The fair trade thank you fairy makes a lovely thank you gift. These cute little handmade fairies would make a lovely addition to any classroom or home. Designed in the UK and made by fairtrade producers in India, 50% of their profits go towards community projects including two schools making this a lovely education related gift.
- Suncatchers make beautiful gifts. Perfect for brightening up a classroom or a window at home. The Fairtrade suncatchers are made in Bali and come in beautiful rainbow colours. We love the Sun and Rainbow suncatcher for adding a little sunshine and sparkle whatever the weather.
- Fairtrade chocolate. Sweet fair trade treats to get them through the last days of the term. You could even buy a selection for the staff room. Just make sure you get it there with plenty of time to share before they all leave for the holidays.
- An Insulated Mug. Everyone who likes hot drinks should have an insulated mug. It reduces waste when you get a takeaway coffee and gives you time to actually drink your tea or coffee hot, even if you get distracted multiple times. A little more expensive than some of our teacher gifts you could always club together with some of the other parents and use any extra money to buy a gift card for a local coffee shop so they can get their caffeine fix for a few days on you.
- A scarf. The hemp scarves by Thought clothing make lovely gifts. They come in a range of pastel colours and make the perfect summer accessory
- A Fairtrade jute tote bag. With lots of fun, colourful designs to choose from these bags make great gifts for teachers. Handy for carrying home marking. The little ones also make lovely lunch bags. You could even add a reusable sandwich wrap if you really feel like treating them.
- A Mystery box. Not sure what to choose. Get the Babame Fairies to do all the hard work for you. Just pop a few notes in the comments and they’ll choose a lovely ethical gift from our eco range.
Teacher Christmas Gifts
Choosing Christmas gifts for teachers is a lovely thing for children to want to do. But if you really want to say thank you and happy Christmas you might need to think outside the box to find a unique thoughtful gift.
We have some lovely personalised teacher presents that are little bit more special than a 'best teacher' mug. As well as practical Christmas gift ideas to make them smile. You can spend a little or a lot but it’s not the monetary value that makes accepting gifts from students wonderful for teachers.
Here are our top 10 teacher gifts for Christmas:
(In no particular order)
- Fairtrade chocolate. Unless you know they don’t eat it chocolate is generally a pretty safe bet. Let your child choose the flavour they think will go down best or let our babame fairies do the choosing and opt for a chocolate mystery box.
- Socks. A Christmas classic. Great for men or women. You can never have too many socks especially when they are as soft and beautiful as Thought’s bamboo and certified organic cotton variety. A real treat for the feet. They come in lots of lovely designs to brighten up their day.
- Nkuku mini photo frames. These come in a pack of four great if you have more than one teacher to buy for and are the perfect size for hanging on the Christmas tree. Pop in a picture of your little one or a piece of artwork with a handwritten thank you note on the other side for a gift that will be treasured for years.
- A recycled crayon pen pot, photo frame or coaster. These fun colourful gifts are made from recycled colouring pencils that are factory rejects. They make great Christmas presents that are a little bit different and have a great school theme.
- Or if you know they like a bit of costume jewellery why not opt for a necklace or bracelet. The crayons are fun and colourful or we love the tassel necklace.
- The nkuku brass bookmarks. Perfect for marking the page in a book or the class register the bookmarks are hand forged with the choice of a little snail, stag or elephant adorning the top.
- Giant nkuku paperclips. The giant paper clips are a great gift for teachers and can be used to keep paperwork or marking tidy. A practical gift with an eco twist.
- If you are a fan of giving homemade cookies or fudge at Christmas why not consider switching the gift wrapping to a reusable snack bag or sandwich wrap. The perfect gift for teachers who bring their lunch to school, these eco-friendly gifts will soon be considered essential school supplies.
- A tote bag. Always a winner the reusable jute shopping bags are sturdy and durable. Great for taking books and marking home, a trip to the supermarket or even a beach bag on holiday.
- Gift Basket. Consider reducing the amount of potential duplicate teacher Christmas presents and club together with other parents to make a gift basket. The Respiin baskets make the perfect base and you can fill it with all sorts of goodies. You could even get the kids to write little personal messages and include a jar with a note from each student.