Eco Living should be something that we all try to incorporate into our daily lifestyles. As climate change continues, we at Danuworld firmly believe we cannot continue on the path we have been up to now and really need to focus on sustainable living and sustainable development to protect our earth. Whilst the idea of Green living is appealing, or even daunting we can take some very easy steps incorporate eco living into our everyday lives.
1. Ditch the plastic lunch bags and adopt zero waste lifestyle. Single use plastic is one of the biggest issues facing our planet. We have a wide range of alternatives to cling film and plastic, such as reusable food wraps, stainless steel lunch boxes, reusable snack bags and food storage, many of which are fair trade or at the every least ethically traded.
2. Ditch the plastic bottles! The facts on figures on single use bottles are scary, and this is a very easy green lifestyle change. Use stainless steel reusable bottles for your water or other drinks. We have a wide range of colours and sizes, from 500ml which are perfect for toddlers to 1l for the sports enthusiast.
3. Coffee! Firstly lets try and make it fair trade coffee, we have a gorgeous range of artisan produced fairtrade or fairly traded coffee which is divine. Just because we are going green, does not mean we have to give up our favourite beverages. However, single use coffee cups do not degrade due to the layer of plastic on them. So we have an excellent range of reusable coffee cups in both glass and bamboo, or even stainless steel, and often these will save you money as many coffee shops will give you a reduction for using your own!
4. Banish the plastic straws, they take 500 years to decompose. We have a range of steel and bamboo straws which are reusable time and time again, and we have the straw brushes so they are easily cleaned.
5. If you have children, consider reusable nappies and wooden toys as great alternatives to disposable nappies and plastic toys. Did you know disposable nappies take 500 years to breakdown and are 4% of everything in landfill. Check our out specialist cloth nappy section under Baby & Child, and feel free to ask any questions you have to make the switch. Cotton nappies can be used on the go, just by bringing along a reusbale bag. Also consider csp (cloth sanitary pads) or menstrual cups which are a great green alternative to plastic pads.
Around the house we can easily take a couple of changes which will dramatically reduce our enviromental impact:
1. Switch off all plugs when not in use, this is a great habit to get into and can really help us to be energy efficient and cut our energy usage in our homes. Whilst you are at it, turn down that thermostat!2. Use a renewable energy electricity provider and even consider solar panels or solar power. Green buildings would be ideal but even a few little steps, like using renewable resources and cutting our carbon dioside emission helps.3. Where possible buy organic produce, and even better fairtrade food, to encourage more organic farming and more fairtrade projects. Fairtrade premium is essential to helping poorer communites invest in their community, to improve their efficiecies so they can command higher prices and off course can feed their families. If you take a look at the 'making a difference' tab on our products we go much further into detail about why the brands we have chosen are ethical and fairtrade. You will notice we have a wide range of delicious fairtrade chocolate, coffee and tea, and even natural confectionery4. Reduce, reuse, recycle is the key to reducing our carbon footprint. Many of the products we sell are made from recycled materials. Whilst off course this is the last step in an environmentally friendly way of life, if you do need to buy something new, check first if you can get one made from recycled items, or if the material you are buying is recyclable. Eco friendly packaging is at the core of what we do at Danuworld, all of our packaing is recycled and we have chosen manufacturers who use recyled packaging, natural inks and only have recyclable packaging. As part of the community, we also recycle boxes from our business neighbours in our business park, so don't be suprised if your post comes in a wheelchair box or a food box!5. Consider alternaives to all those plastic bottles in your house. Did you know we have a fabulous natural organic shampoo bar, as well as handmade soap with no packaging. We also stock plastic alternatives to toothtbrushes such as ones made from bamboo, and we have deorderants which comes in tin or bars and not in plastic.Danuworld is all about sustainability, going zero waste and reducing our environmental impact, but also ensuring that we trade fairly and ethically in everything we do. This is more that just doing the recycling, as a community we have to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and single use plastic, we have to make the difference. We hope we have helped you make the switch, and if you have any more recommendations or product proposals then please let us know!